Offshore Resources Management Staff
The Ministry’s vision is to promote sustainable use and access to the Kingdom’s land and natural resources to generate social, economic, and environmental benefits for the people of Tonga. The Offshore vision is to promote sustainable use and access to sea bed minerals and all natural resources found offshore to create social, economic and environmental benefits for the people of Tonga.
- Report on Marine Scientific Researches in Tonga Waters
- Up to date on marine scientific information and database management.
- Maintenance and Update of Oceans Data Mapping.
- Assisting geological survey on MSR, Oceanography and ocean monitoring
- Establishing a DSM Policy Framework.
- Establishing Regulations on DSM Trust Funds
- Consultation and Awareness on DSM Activities
- Administer and regulate the Petroleum Mining Licenses within Tonga Waters
- Assisting geological survey on DSM and Petroleum
- Regulating the Deep Seabed Minerals Activities (Exploration) – Reviewing Bi-annual Reports
- Management of Exploration Companies application, license and report
- Marine Spatial Planning Activities with the OCEANS 7 Working Group, building marine database on biodiversity
- Participating on UN Marine Geospatial Information working group
- Marine Data collection
- Marine Spatial Planning Consultation
- Tonga atlas
- Develop and delimitate Maritime Boundaries with Tonga’s Neighbours
- Develop and delimitate limits of Tonga’s Continental Shelf
- Geospatial information Systems
- Law of the Sea
- Establishing Legal Frameworks and Regulations – Licensing Fees
- Review Offshore relevant legislation, policies and guidelines
- Seabed Mineral fund, royalties and policy regulation
- Petroleum Act.
- Study and research on the Environmental Impact of DSM.
- Public Awareness on Deep Seabed Minerals
- Participate in MSR cruise
- School Awareness
- TV and Radio Program
- Attend meeting, training, fellowship and workshop locally and overseas.
NORI Offshore Campaign
Deep Green Metal Inc Trainee (ISA student)
On December 2019, Mr Kaufusi was nominate by the International Seabed Authority (ISA) to participated on the Nauru Ocean Resources Inc (NORI) offshore campaign as a trainee with Deep Green Metal Inc for the first quarter of 2020.
NORI is a fully owned subsidiary of the Deep Green Metal Inc and it has an exploration contract with the International Seabed Authority (ISA) to explore for polymetallic nodules in the Clarion Clipperton Zone in the Pacific Ocean.
The main objective of the NORI offshore campaign were to provide a capacity building and also a training opportunities for the professionals from the developing states.
The focus of this offshore campaign was to conduct a bulk sampling program and also a design to recover 120 to 150 tons of the polymetallic nodules. This offshore campaign was conducted on the Maersk Launcher vessel in the Clarion Clipperton Zone (CCZ) between Hawaii and Mexico on the North East of the Pacific Ocean from January 8th 2020 until February 4th 2020.